Working on a roof repair or replacement in the middle of winter may not be ideal, but it cannot always be avoided. Finding a company that will take on winter roof repairs in Billings, MT, and the surrounding area should be possible. Whether you need a big or small fix, these tips may help you make smart choices:
- Keep Roof Clear: Regularly remove snow and debris as you can. This will help keep your roofing materials protected, but it may also help you notice problems while they are small. Of course, getting on your roof while it is full of snow can be dangerous. It may be better to hire a professional to sweep off your roof and look for signs of damage.
- Fix Attic Ventilation: Proper attic ventilation may help reduce ice buildup. When hot air is trapped in this space, it may melt the snow at the peaks. As the water runs toward the edge of the roof, it may start to refreeze as the temperature cools down. However, proper ventilation could stop this.
- Use a Tarp in an Emergency: Roofers may not be able to get out right away, so covering the issue may protect your roof from further damage. Call your contractor to find out how soon he or she can come out to your house.
- Try for a Warm Day: Some materials can be negatively affected by the cold, so you and your roofer may have to wait for a relatively warm day. Pay attention to storm warnings as you schedule the repair.
- Listen to Contractor: While you want to get your roof fixed as soon as possible, the roofer needs to keep his or her employees safe. Listen to expert advice even if it means you have to wait for a permanent solution.
Hopefully, this winter will pass without any damage to your roof. If needed, do not hesitate to contact your roofing contractor.